Auditor Charlotte Walker Ward
Charlotte Walker Ward has served as the County Auditor since 2003. The Auditor is required to perform the following duties (this is not a comprehensive list):
- Keep inventory of all county property under the control and management of the various officers/departments.
- Keep accounts of all appropriation and expenditures made by the county commission.
- No warrant shall be drawn/obligated without certification that an unencumbered balance is available to draw from.
- Audit, examine and adjust all accounts, demands, and claims of every kind and character presented for payment against the county.
- In discretion approve all lawful true just and legal accounts demands and claims of every kind payable out of county revenue or funds BEFORE the same shall be allowed and a warrant issued therefore by the commission.
- When necessary to examine any account, demand or claim, the auditor may examine the parties, witnesses and others on oath or affirmation touching any matter or circumstance in the examination of such account before allowing the account, demand or claim.
- Keep a correct account between the county and all county and township officers and examine all records and settlements made by them for and with the county commission or with each other.
- Whenever the auditor desires he/she shall have access to all books, county records or papers kept by any county officer or road overseer.
- Countersign all licenses issued for the sale of intoxicating liquor and keep a record of all county licenses issued.
- Serve as member of the board of equalization.
- Make monthly report to the county commission showing the condition of the accounts of each county officer as by them reported to him/her for the previous month.
- Prepare a statement of estimated revenues of the county, classified as to funds and sources and furnish this estimate to the budget officer of the county with an itemized list of expenditures for as many previous fiscal years as deemed proper to arrive at a reasonable estimate of the anticipated revenues and expenses to prepare a county budget.