County Clerk Tami Owens
Thank you for visiting the Newton County Clerk's webpage.
The county clerk is responsible for county administration, public services and elections.
According to statute, the county clerk is the election authority for all elections within the county. Regular elections are held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in April, August and November. Also, special elections may occur in February or June.
Notices displaying sample ballots and polling locations are published in the local newspapers the two Fridays prior to each election. You may also request a sample ballot be mailed to you.
The County Clerk is the election authority and is responsible for administering elections for all the political subdivisions in Newton County.
Following are a list of duties the County Clerk’s Office performs:
Administers elections for all School Districts, Cities and Villages, Road and Fire
Takes candidate filings and ballot issues; conducts absentee voting; recruits and trains
Election judges/poll workers;
Inspects all voting precincts; and
Certifies election results.
* Voter Registration – Maintains the voter registration for the county. Newton County currently has 40,590 registered voters
* Clerk of the County Commission
* Prepares the County Financial Statement – to be published on or before the first Monday in March
* Works with Commission and Auditor in preparing yearly Budget for the County
* Custodian of all Records
* Maintains all accounts payable requisitions in office and mails out all payments
* Assists in preparation of gas tax refund forms for citizens
* Administers oaths
* Files with Secretary of State all salaries and non-accountable fees received by each elected county officeholder.
* Annual School Report to DESE; and School money distribution report
* Certifies Assessed Valuations to all Political Subdivisions so they can hold levy hearings and certify their tax levy to the County Clerk
* Certifies Tax Levies to the Collector of Revenue
* Railroad & Utility Tax Bills – responsible for extending the real and personal property tax bills for the railroad and utility companies
* Serves as Secretary to the Board of Equalization
* Serves as Clerk at the Collector’s yearly Tax Sale
* Issues Notary Public Commissions and keeps records on file of all Notaries commissioned in Newton County
* Issues County Auctioneer’s Licenses
* Issues County Liquor Licenses
The County Clerk’s office consists of the County Clerk, Tami Owens, Bretta Bridges, Elections Clerk, Denise Mahr, Accounts Payable, and Anna Durbin, Voter Registration.
August 3, 2021, Special Election
NOTE that Absentee Ballot voting starts June 22, 2021.
Precincts affected will be Staples East, Staples West, Staples 21, Staples 27 and Reding will be combined and vote at Calvary Baptist Church polling place. Thurman and Diamond are combined and will be voting at The Christs’ Community United Methodist Church.
Tami Owens, County Clerk
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m - 4:30 p.m.
Request Absentee Ballot
Find Voting Location
Election Laws (RSMo Chapter 115)
Notary Public Commissions
Voter Registration Form
Auctioneer & Liquor Licenses
Some files on this page require Adobe Reader software. To download this software for free, click here.